It is not recommended to use CIR remote controller for PIN input. But, please note that it is easy way to add input support for a resource limited board (like STM8S Discovery Kit).
Here is a list of URLs for the infomation about consumer IR remote controller:
- IR control at SB-Projects: http://www.sbprojects.com/projects/ircontrol/ircontrol.htm
- Remote controller by Consumer IR: http://www.remotecentral.com/index.html
- Description of NEC Protocol: http://www2.renesas.com/faq/ja/mi_com/f_com_remo.html
- Another Japanese Consumer IR protocol: http://einstlab.web.fc2.com/Remocon2/Remocon2.html
- CIR Receiver Module Part at Akiduki http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/g/gI-03292/